"[A]n essential resource for any student of the American West."
- Review of MWDL in College & Research Libraries News, December 2011
The Mountain West Digital Library is a collaborative of libraries, museums, and archives -- universities, colleges, public libraries, museums, archives, and historical societies. Starting in 2001 as a program of the Utah Academic Library Consortium, MWDL has been joined over the last decade by partners in other states in the Mountain West as well, including Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Arizona, Montana, and Hawaii.
- Discovery Portal: Provide a regional search portal for public access to the digital collections of the Mountain West for the benefit of MWDL partners, the scholarly community at large, and the general public
- Digital Library Community: Support the digital library development efforts of Collections Partners, including colleges, universities, public libraries, school libraries, archives, museums, historical societies, municipalities, counties, state agencies, and other entities
- Digital Public Library of American On-Ramp: Serve as the Service Hub to the DPLA for libraries, museums, and archives in the Mountain West
The Mountain West Digital Library was founded in 2001 as a program of the Utah Academic Library Consortium, as part of its goal to improve the availability and delivery of library and information services.
In July 2015, the MWDL transitioned to a membership collaborative, with Member Repositories (hosting hubs) hosting the digital collections of their institutions as well as the collections of other Collections Partners.
Additional support during 2001-2015 came from these sources:
- Ongoing support from the Utah Academic Library Consortium
- Grant funding from the Digital Public Library of America for participation in the Digital Hubs Pilot Project, 2012-2015, and the Public Library Partnerships Project, with sub-awards from these funding sources:
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- Institute for Museum and Library Services
- John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Contributed workspace and systems support from the University of Utah J. Willard Marriott Library
- Bridge funding in summer 2015 from the Brigham Young University Harold B. Lee Library
- Set-up costs for original servers in 2001 from Institute of Museum and Library Services funding under the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the Utah State Library
- Volunteer assistance from librarians, archivists, and curators at MWDL Partner institutions
Please see the "Partners" page of this site for a list of all the organizations that contribute to the Mountain West Digital Library and make it work.
See the "Collections" list of the hundreds of digital collections that are available for search in the Mountain West Digital Library.
Policies and Guidelines
See the "Policies and Guidelines" page for a clickable list of policies and guidelines that have been created or adopted by MWDL partners.
See the "Get Involved" page about how you can benefit from and contribute to the Mountain West Digital Library!