Kanab Heritage House and Museum
The Heritage House in Kanab, Utah, was built in 1894 for Henry Eyring Bowman by master builder John Rider. The Thomas Chamberlain family later lived there, and its last residents were the McAllister family. In 1974, Dr. George R. Aiken was instrumental in restoring this property. He headed many fund-raising events to contribute to the cost of the renovation. Citizens of Kanab also worked many volunteer hours to help restore this home painstakingly to its original splendor. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The Heritage Museum is located in the old Kanab City Library. In 1996, when this building was to be torn down, members of the Kanab Historical Society approached the mayor to see if they could have use of the building. The mayor gave them three years to see what could be done. They decided to turn it into a museum. After much work, the first displays were opened in 1999. The museum has grown to house a wonderful collection of artifacts, histories, personal stories, photographs, and many other items pertaining not only to Kanab, but also to Kane County and the Fredonia, Arizona, area. In the basement of the Heritage Museum is the Juniper Gallery, which features beautiful artwork from around the area.
Photographs by W. Kendall Brooksby
Search within the records from this partner:
Collections from this partner