Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art and the National Endowmant for the Humanities
The University of Oregon�s art museum opened its doors to the public in 1933. Designed by Ellis F. Lawrence, UO dean of Architecture & Allied Arts at the time, the museum was built to house the Murray Warner Collection of Oriental Art�more than 3,700 works of art given to the University of Oregon by Gertrude Bass Warner.
The only academic art museum in Oregon accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the University of Oregon�s Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art (JSMA) features engaging exhibitions, significant collections of historic and contemporary art, and exciting educational programs that support the university�s academic mission and the diverse interests of its off-campus communities.� The JSMA�s collections galleries present selections from its extensive holdings of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and American art.� Special exhibitions galleries display works from the collection and on loan, representing many cultures of the world, past and present. The JSMA continues a long tradition of bridging international cultures and offers a welcoming destination for discovery and education centered on artistic expression that deepens the appreciation and understanding of the human condition.
Browse all records from Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art and the National Endowmant for the Humanities